“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer” …. Albert Camus
Yep, that’s me. Can do, will do, have done. I love that quote. One of my other favourite quotes is “this too shall pass”, accredited to the Persian Sufi poets. Got me through many a prolonged drama. And just to round off I do adore this one from old man Winston Churchill …
“You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”
Delivering with a sense of humour, consideration and accountability since the the 90s. Learnt lots along the way …. far better CEO in my 40s than I was in my 30s. Go figure. Experience, combined with attitude, ability, tolerance and some knowledge is a powerfully good thing. Win – win delivery also works for me.
In summary …
- born in Australia, eldest of four, unpaid middle management from age 10
- schooling in Brisbane and Sydney – big yawn until the uni years, then FUN!
- first job baby sitting, second job employed as checkout cashier, demoted myself to shelf stacker as dyslexic with number entry, but a keen eye for labels facing forward.
- tourism and hospitality taught me bucket loads about people, profits and productivity, and I can still carry three plates
- moved to local government to stop working weekends, fell in love with LG and the lack of profit motive
- lived in Australia and New Zealand, good with change and love travel
- found a ying to compliment my yang, married my south island sweetheart, got a dog #realcommitment
- been there, done that, got the ceo tee shirt – in da club!
- first Qld LG CEO pregnant on the job (not because of the job), got confused and had a second child
- directly worked for nine mayors and around 80 elected representatives – heavens, that’s a lot of ego in one lifetime, loved 8 out of 9 of my mayors
- good with people, despite years of engagement with them
- a head for business, with the heart of a stylist and my eye on what’s next